Legal Defense Runs Deep in the Family
Eugene C. Thompson, III of Warsaw has practiced law since 1966 and has earned his reputation in his firm of Thompson & Thompson, P.C. in the areas of criminal law, civil litigation, real estate, wills and trusts and estates. After spending decades defending his clients, Eugene retired from practicing law in 2021.
Military, Law School, Hall of Fame
After graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1959, Thompson spent four years in the United States Marine Corps, reaching the rank of captain. Since graduating from the Wake Forest School of Law in 1966, Thompson has dedicated his time to the community and legal profession in Duplin County.
From 1969-2004, Thompson served as vice president of the Duplin County Bar before taking over as president in 2004 until the present. He has also served as secretary treasurer and president of the Fourth Judicial District Bar. Thompson has served his community as legal counsel for the Town of Warsaw for 30 years and as counsel for James Sprunt Community College for over 30 years. He has also served as president of the Duplin County Veterans Museum for 10 years.
Later in His Career
Known for his desire to counsel and advise others, Thompson has been recognized by "Who's Who in American Law" and his firm has been recognized by the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. Thompson has also spent time as a Sunday School teacher and Midget League football coach. The inductee was presented by Fredric C. Hall in 2010.
Thompson was admitted to the North Carolina and the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina in 1966, and 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in 2018
E. C. Thompson, III Education and Experience Includes:
- Rated Preeminent with Martindale-Hubble since 1995.
- Thompson and Thompson is the only law firm in Duplin County listed in the Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers. The firm has been listed every year since 1995.
- Recognized by "Who's Who in American Law."
Inducted into the North Carolina Bar Association General Practice Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Member, Board of Directors, Farm Workers Legal Services, 1971-1976
- "Who's Who Among Business and Professionals" - 2012
- Duplin County Veterans Museum Member and President since 2002
- Phi- Delta Phi
- Rated AV with Martindale-Hubble since 1976 - 2011
- Attorney for Town of Warsaw since 1968
- Captain, United States Marine Corps, 1960-1963
Associations & Memberships:
- Fourth Judicial District (Secretary-Treasurer, 1970-1971; President, 1990-1991)
- Duplin County (Vice-President, 1969-2004; President, 2004—)
- North Carolina and American Bar Associations
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- The Association of North Carolina Municipal Attorneys (Member, Board of Directors, 1973-1975, Vice-President, 1976; President, 1977)